The ATH-AX5iS headphones are over the ear and offer premium quality sound with its 40 mm\1.4 inches drivers. It has been especially designed for music lovers and it can be used on a regular basis. We’ve been really impressed with Audio-Techinca’s headphones lately. The AX5iS Its well cushioned ear pads will ensure that you can comfortably wear it for hours together. The headphone offers a variety of features such as universal mic for answering calls, button for track and volume control etc. which make it ideal for smartphones and other devices such as iPhones, tablets, iPads, Android phones, Windows phones, iPods, music players etc. It has a 3.5 mm jack to be used with desktop PCs and laptops as well.
The ATH-AX5iS over the ear headphone has been constructed from highly durable materials that make it last long. They aren’t some cheap knockoffs. In fact, it is ideal for daily use and has been made from aluminium accents, while following an “ABS construction technique”. It has been designed to consistently offer you with optimal performance and excellent quality sound for a long time. Storing the is very easy, as it comes with a tangle-free flat cord and a little comfortable nylon case. Compared to other headphones available in the market, it has a higher frequency range of 5 to 25,000 HZ. It is the ideal headphone for those who love listening to music and everyday use on their smartphones or other devices.
Our opinion on the sound
So the biggest question we get for new headphones is the sound quality (as we agree it is very important). The AX5iS quality isn’t studio monitor quality, but they go unnoticeable as far as being completely different than others in the market. I had my mom, brother and girlfriend try this pair of headphones on and the M40x with their eyes closed and although they said the M40x’s were better, it wasn’t by much. If you’re trying to compare the two (especially with the M50x), remember the uses of the headphones. The Ax5iS are a lot better for iphone/android use because of the control center, light weight, short cable and folding capabilities.
Pros and Cons of the ATH-AX5iS Over-Ear Headphones
1. Excellent sound quality- Your experience of listening to music will be enhanced as the headphone offers excellent sound quality and consistent performance with its 40 mm\1.4 inches drivers.
2. Smartphone friendly – Features such as volume and track control, mic for answering calls etc. make it ideal to be used with smartphones, music players or other gadgets (iPhones and Android phones).
3. More comfort – The ATH-AX5iS has well cushioned ear pads that make it very comfortable for extended use, you rarely get ear pain (I’ve worn mine for 4-5 hours at a time).
4. Great for travel – The headphones fold flat to help you with traveling (case as well, but we shed some light on that later).
5. Awesome sleek style – Looks like Audio-Technica continues to gives Beats a run for their money with the look of these. Very nice looking\urban.
6. Long 3.5mm jack – The jack itself is a little longer than normal, allowing you to use it with a case on.
7. Pretty light weight – Compared to a lot of headphones in the world, these are really light and can be used for working out and the like.
1. Not ideally PC friendly – It comes with a short cable of only 1.2 m\3.9 ft which might be difficult to use it with PCs or gaming consoles. Laptops may suffice.
2.You may need a new case – Although this is just personal preference, I don’t think a cloth nylon case is good enough for an almost $100 pair of headphones. I’d buy a hard-shell case if you’re going to be traveling a lot.
3. No removable cable – Not necessarily a con per se, but like their new x-line of studio headphones the cable isn’t removable.
4. Not as good as the M50x or M40x – We love this pair of headphones, but when it comes to competing with Audio-Technica’s studio monitor headphones, such as the ATH-M50x or ATH-M40x, it does not compare. These are more for casual listening and provide some good comfort — but they are not studio quality (we’ve seen the M40x on Amazon — almost the price of this).
What people have said around the net
Users have mostly praised the ATH-AX5iS headphones and have appreciated the features it provides. They have commented positively about its ability to offer excellent quality sound with its superior drivers, and the fact that it comes with well cushioned ear pads for added comfort. A lot of people are getting excited about Audio-Technica as they continue to grow in popularity within the headphone realm. The adjustable headband is also great for those with bigger noggins. As we’ve stated, some cons such as the cable not being removable or nylon case not being stable enough is only nitpicking. I do however think you should check prices of the m40x as it is only a few more dollars and is an overall better headphone. However, this also comes down to how you’ll be using it: if this will be for primarily smartphone/device use, stick with the AX5iS. We’ve seen the lowest prices and best shipping of the ATH-AX5iS on Amazon.
Main features of the over-ear headphones
- The headphone offers features such as volume and track control, universal mic and other features that make it ideal for smartphones, music players or other gadgets, such as Android phones, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Windows mobile etc.
- It comes with well cushioned ear pads that make it ideal for extended use
- Relatively cushioned headband for better feel on top of your head
- Very light in weight
- It can provide you with optimal sound with the help of its 40 mm\1.5 inch drivers
- It can be easily stored, as the ear cups are foldable
- The headphone is highly durable and has been made from aluminium accents, while following ABS construction technique
- Comes with tangle free, flat cord
- The headphone is available in two different colors namely gunmetal grey (ATH-AX5iSGM) and black (ATH-AX5iSBK)
Specifications of the Audio-Technica ATH-AX5iS
- Type – Dynamic Closed-back
- Frequency Response – 5 to 25,000 HZ
- Diameter of Driver – 40 mm or 1.5 inches
- Input Power (Maximum) – 1000 mw
- Sensitivity – 104 dB per mW
- Cord – 1.2 m or 3.9 ft
- Impedance – 55 ohms
- Connector – 3.5 mm or 1/8 inches, L-type, gold-plated, mini stereo
- Accessories – Carrying pouch