The ATH-AX1iS over the ear headphone is ideal for those who need affordability and convenience. Audio-Technica especially designed for music lovers, this headphone can be used on a regular basis for everyday activities. Connect it to your laptop, tablet, smartphone or music player and enjoy excellent quality sound that will allow you to experience the thrill and fun of listening to your favorite genre of music. With 36 mm\1.4 inch drivers the headphone offers optimal sound for it’s price (haven’t heard of many headphones with these drivers at $40 retail) and it’s well cushioned ear pads will ensure that you can comfortably wear it for hours. Here are some of the pros and cons as well as reviews around the net have said.
The over-ear SonicFuel headphones are Audio-Technica‘s mixture of affordability and portability, with this particular pair coming in at a retail of $39.99. They’re the lowest priced model of their over-ear SonicFuel series. You can read our review on the ATH-AX3iS and ATH-AX5iS to compare the specs (they increase by around $20 each model).
One of the biggest highlights of these headphones is the fact that it includes their smart phone control system on the cable, as we’ve seen in most of their earbuds and other ‘i’ models’. This is what really sets them a part — convenience at a pretty affordable price. As opposed to their popular ATH-M50 or M40x models which are designed for studio use (and not too ideal for traveling — although do work as well if you decide to do so), the SonicFuel headphones are aiming towards an everyday music listener instead.
When using it on your smartphone, you can easily answer calls and talk with the help of the in-line mic by touching a single button. You can also use the same button to adjust volume or control, pause or play music or videos. The headphone is available in a wide range of colors, to cater to the needs of people with all kinds of tastes — it has the most styles available of the SonicFuel models.
The colors available are black (ATH-AX1iSBK), white (ATH-AX1iSWH), red (ATH-AX1iSRD), grey (ATH-AX1iSGY) and blue (ATH-AX1iSBL).
You will get an enhanced experience of listening to music as the headphone will not sound processed, artificial or filtered, as Audio-Technica always brings a well-designed tech when it comes to sound quality. No complains with that here.
Pros and Cons of the ATH-AX1iS headphones
1. Excellent quality of sound – The headphone offer excellent quality sound for it’s price and allows people to enjoy the experience of listening to music (aren’t knockoffs as seen around eBay and Alibaba).
2. Very comfortable – The headphone comes with well-cushioned ear pads that make it very comfortable for extended use. We’ve used them for around 5 hours at a time and haven’t had pain.
3. Optimal performance – Headphone offers optimal performance with the help of its sleek 36 mm \ 1.4 inch drivers.
4. Highly durable – The ATH-AX1IS headphone has been made from materials that make it durable (no plastic cheap stuff).
5. Warranty – The headphones comes with a 2 year (limited) warranty for end users. Hit up Audio-Technica for that info.
6. Inexpensive – Priced at $40 retail, it is highly affordable compared to other headphones available in the market.
1. Not ideal for PC, gaming or production – The headphone is best used with mobile devices but it may not offer ideal performance with PCs, especially if you’re gaming.
2. No interchangeable cable like the 40x or 50x series – Whether this is important to you or not, it is something to think about.
Main features of the SonicFuel ATH-AX1iS headphones
- Volume and track control, universal mic and other features that make it ideal for smartphones, music players or other gadgets, such as Android phones, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Windows mobile etc.
- Comes with well cushioned ear pads that make it ideal for extended use
- The headphone offers optimal sound with the help of its sleek 36 mm or 1.4 inch drivers
- It can be easily stored store it, due to its fold-flat design
- The headphone is available in a wide range of colors
- Type – Dynamic Closed-back
- Frequency Response – 15 to 22,000 HZ
- Diameter of Driver – 36 mm
- Input Power (Maximum) – 500 mw
- Sensitivity – 100 dB per mW
- Cord – 1.2 m or 3.9 ft
- Impedance – 40 ohms
- Connector – 3.5 mm or 1/8 inches, L-type, gold-plated, mini stereo
Compare prices of the ATH AX1iS
We do love this pair of headphones by Audio-Technica, especially if you’re on a budget and want something simple that provides decent sound quality as well as smart phone controls. It’s particurly suited for the every day listeners, rivaling the Beats by Dre for gym use as well as any form of travel. Check out our top 10 best studio headphones article for more advanced models if that’s what you’re looking for, otherwise sticking with the AX1iS is a decision you won’t regret!